How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!
2013 comes to a close with some exciting news from the tech world. From a very innovative way to take pictures (by blinking) brought to you by Google Glass, to those pesky auto-play video ads that could soon flood your Facebook. And don’t forget the month can’t be complete without a hack from…? You guessed it. The NSA! This time they hit gamers. In case you missed these and other cool tech stories, here is the tech news recap for December 2013. Ending the year with lots of exciting news and rumors!
December Top Tech News, Rumors, Releases And Highlights
- Amazon.com plans to use drones to deliver your purchases within the next 4-5 years.
- Happy Birthday SMS! Texting turns 21 this month.
- New York City launches nation’s biggest Wi-Fi network, which will cover 95 blocks of Harlem.
- ‘Tis the season for giving. Facebook creates ‘Donate Now’ button for non-profit Facebook pages.
- Google Trends is now offering topic predictions for 700,000 topics in 7 countries.
- Twitter to target you with ads based on your browsing history.
- Google Glass’s ability to take pictures isn’t new, but “winking” to take a picture is.
- Google’s new patent wants bots to do all the socializing on social media.
- Google rumored to unveil a Nexus branded set-top box that will run Android, stream video & play video games.
- Edward Snowden disclosed that the NSA spies on World of Warcraft, Second Life & Xbox Live online games.
- Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S5 may feature fingerprint and eye scanners.
- Google Translate adds 9 more languages and hits 80 languages milestone.
- Now you can Direct Message photos on Twitter for Mobile, Web.
- Facebook’s major news feed redesign has stalled.
- Free Spotify for everyone! Anyone on a smartphone or tablet can download the app & listen to loads of streaming music, free of charge.
- Google launches website called “Google Tips” a site to help you use Google products.
- Google has acquired Boston Dynamics, a company that makes spectacular walking robots.
- Auto-Play video ads coming to Facebook.
- Apple’s new cylindrical Mac Pro becomes available to order at an entry price of $2,999.
- Twitter will allow Vine users to get vanity URLs. Get ready to register for yours!
- WhatsApp now has over 400 million monthly users.
- BlackBerry’s BBM for Android and iPhone to offer free voice calls in 2014.
- It turns out when you start to write something on Facebook, but change your mind & delete it before it goes up on Facebook, the social network can (and has) kept track of it.
- Rumor: A larger iPhone in May and a larger 12.9-inch iPad in October 2014.
- T-Mobile’s GoSmart to offer free access to Facebook even if you don’t subscribe to its Internet service.
- Inventor of the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee, has eulogized Edward Snowden’s efforts to protect the open Web.
- Twitter could soon allow users to “edit” tweets.
- Netflix schedules massive purge of movies and TV shows for Jan. 1, 2014.
- Google Glass may hit stores by April 2014 for $600.
- Samsung develops first 8Gb LPDDR4 DRAM that could result in mobile devices with 4GB RAM.
- Samsung launches 110 inch ultra HD TV.
- Google and Audi are set to partner to bring Android to your dash.
Virtual Assistants will shave hours from your workweek, tackle real world business tasks & lower your stress levels! Here are 4 ways a Virtual Assistant can help.
Eliminate the paper clutter today! Go from paperwork to paperless with the top document scanner around.
The importance of content is not changing & will be bigger than ever in 2014. Read the top marketing trends for the new year.
Looking for the right gift for your tech lover? Check out our tech gift guide for some really cool ideas!
Stay Up To Date Every Day
What a month it has been of lots and lots of tech news. To make sure you don’t miss out on the top news in tech, be sure you follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and join our email newsletter. And we’re active on Google Plus too! Did we miss anything? Let us know.