How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!
Only one month into 2013 and already the year is off to a busy start. Between the New Media Expo and Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas, rumors are flying and new innovations are on the horizon. Here is a recap of what happened in the month of January 2013 on the Internet and the best tips and reviews of all things tech in case you missed it.
January 2013 Tech News
- Armed robbers hit Apple Store in Paris. The robbers took off with as much as $1.25 million worth of iPhones, iPads and other devices.
- Want to use Google maps on your windows phone? Well, you can’t. Google takes another shot at windows by blocking access to Google maps as the war for smartphone dominance heats up.
- Facebook’s New Timeline Change Is Starting… again. What do you think of the new look? Sick of Facebook? Here’s how to backup your data.
- Microsoft to shut down Windows Live Messenger service on March 15, 2013. Messenger users will be asked to use Skype as the new instant messaging service.
- As of January 26, 2013 unlocking your mobile phone is no longer legal. The U.S. Copyright Office and Library of Congress are no longer allowing phone unlocking as an exemption under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Not a hoax – Facebook owes a bunch of people $10. Maybe even you?
- Facebook’s new graph search. Cool or creepy? How do you think this new feature will the effect user participation and privacy?
- Pinterest tests a new look updated navigation, larger images, and more related content recommendations to keep you on their site even longer.
- Soon, you will be able to craft emails in Google Chrome using only your voice.
January 2013 Tech Rumors – Apple Feature
- 4.8-inch iPhone to debut in June 2013.
- Budget iPhone 5 will look like iPhone 5 & iPod combined.
- Fifth-generation iPad, second-gen iPad mini to debut in March 2013.
Our Product Reviews & Tips
- When it comes to Cyber Security for your website, Incapsula is our top pick for making your site safe from hackers and spammers.
- Dropbox better keep its eye on the rear-view, because SugarSync might now have what it takes to jump into the lead of the consumer cloud storage pack.
- We’ve looked at all the main tax software contenders, so get reading, because it’s time to do your taxes!
- 3 things your brand should avoid to be more likable than Lance Armstrong.
Helpful Tech Tips
- Do you want the largest tax refund possible as fast as possible? If so, you should eFile your tax returns using online income tax software.
- So you’ve got a big idea and want to turn it into an online business? Or you already have a brick & mortar store but want to open an online store? Make it happen by selecting the best Ecommerce platform for your needs.
- Firefox sometimes uses more memory (RAM) than it should. This can make Firefox slower, & in extreme cases, it can even make Firefox crash. Here’s how to minimize Firefox’s crash issues.
What’s Hot to Check Out This Month
- Got 30 minutes? Then check out The Work Talk Show podcast – conversations with crazy smart guests talking about their work habits and the latest in technology. This month’s feature episode showcased New Media Expo‘s keynote speaker and Apple Evangelist, Guy Kawasaki, author of the new book APE.